Are you finding yourself overwhelmed by student debt? If you’re a government or nonprofit worker, you may qualify for some much-welcome debt relief! PSLF, the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, forgives any remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying payments have been made—if you’re working full-time for a qualifying employer.
Queens Public Library is here to support New Yorkers through the process of applying for PSLF. Read on to find information on the necessary materials, steps to enroll, and helpful resources for completing your application. Even if you’ve been rejected in the past, this program may benefit you—it’s certainly worth a try.
The PSLF waiver deadline is Monday, October 31.
Please note that PSLF is SEPARATE from the President’s Student Debt Relief Plan announced on August 24, 2022.
To apply, you will need:
- Your most recent W-2s from your employer OR your employer’s Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Your Federal Student Aid (FSA) login information
To enroll, follow these steps:
- Visit the U.S. Department of Education’s PSLF Help Tool
- Log in (or create an account and login)
- Use the PSLF Help Tool to check if you qualify
- Follow next steps based on the guidance provided on the website
Resources to learn more:
- NYC Department of Consumer and Worker Protection FAQ
- View a pre-recorded webinar or register for an upcoming information session at PSLF.nyc
- Forgivemystudentdebt.org has step-by-step instructions and additional tips
- Get free, individual support and counseling around loan forgiveness from:
- Education Debt Consumer Assistance Program (EDCAP) by calling (888) 614-5004 or emailing email@example.com
- NYC Financial Empowerment Centers by making an appointment online here