It’s almost here! We’re celebrating the grand opening of Hunters Point Library on September 24—and we can’t wait to welcome you to our new, 22,000 square foot space with panoramic views of the East River, Manhattan, and Queens, abundant natural light, and more than 50,000 materials for you to check out!
Join us for the ribbon cutting at 2:30pm and the library’s official opening at 4pm.
Hunters Point was designed by Steven Holl Architects and has garnered numerous awards and recognition, including:
- 2010 NYC Public Design Commission Award for Excellence in Design
- 2014 NYC Public Design Commission Award for Excellence in Design (Percent for Art Component)
- 2017 Progressive Architecture Award Citation
- 2018 Metropolis Magazine, Most Anticipated Buildings
Come see artist Julianne Swartz’s Percent for Art installation of four viewing portals!
The library features:
- A collection of more than 50,000 items including travel and test prep, science fiction, and romance
- International Language Collections of more than 2,000 Spanish materials and more than 2,800 Chinese materials including adult & juvenile books as well as DVDs
- Percent for Art installation by artist Julianne Swartz titled Four Directions from Hunters Point, comprised of four viewing portals
- Multi-level adult fiction section with reading counters and device charging stations
- Children’s area with 12 computers, board books, picture books, chapter books, nonfiction, graphic novels, and more
- Teen area with reading space, teen collections, and 12 laptops
- Quiet Room
- Cyber Center with 20 computers
- 24/7 returns machine
- Rooftop terrace (awaiting completion)
Come explore Hunters Point with us—we’re excited for you to enjoy this magnificent space!
To get a sneak peek of the library and meet its children’s librarians, watch these videos: