Explore Our College Readiness Workshops
Join us at the library to prepare for college.
Queens Public Library offers free workshops that target youth, parents/caregivers, and adults seeking guidance about college admissions, career exploration, and financial assistance. Moreover, we aim to support schools and other community-based organizations that provide college readiness advice.
Our College Readiness Program consists of three segments.
1. Life Skills Programming, where we focus on helping individuals identify and develop the practical skills needed to prepare for college.
2. Informational Workshops, for both students and families, scheduled during selected afternoons, evenings, and weekends. Some examples of our workshops include The College Selection Process, Scholarships and Financial Aid, How to Complete the FAFSA, How to Write Your College Essay, Public Speaking, Brainfuse Tutorial (student tutoring support), and Virtual College Tours.
3. Access to College Readiness Resources, by connecting students and families to information about educational and financial options. These resources are available electronically as well as in paper form.
Queens Public Library's College Readiness team is available to support you. Our goal is to keep you informed by providing workshops as well as links to college readiness articles and Queens and community-based organization events. We can be reached at College.Readiness@queenslibrary.org.
Access Queens Public Library blog posts on College Readiness here.
Admissions Process Webinars This Summer and Fall:
Step by Step Guide to the College Application Process:
- New Visions for Public Schools-College Enrollment Guides
- NYC/DOE (Community Partnerships/Office of K-16 Initiative)
Virtual College Fairs - Fall 2021:
College Board Resources and College Board Partner Scholarships:
- College Board
- National Merit Scholarship
- College Board Student Search and Scholarships offered July 2021-Spring 2022
Scholarship Resources for New York State:
SAT and ACT Test Preparation from Method Test Prep:
FEATURED PROGRAM: SUMMER 2022 COLLEGE ADMISSIONS ESSAY WRITING BOOT CAMP!
Our Essay Writing Boot Camp takes the intimidation out of college applications, offering the training and tools you need to write a stand-out essay.
Each series is comprised of three sessions in which prospective college students will learn:
- What Makes A Strong Essay
- How To Tell "Your Story"
- How To Construct A Memorable Personal Statement
The engaging, collaborative classes will be led by a QPL College Readiness representative. Students have the option to attend the entire series or individual sessions. Each series will run in July and August. To get the most out of this workshop, attending a full series is recommended.
- Be open to juniors and seniors in High School.
- Be held in-person at the Central Library Teen Space (89-11 Merrick Boulevard).
- Have limited space and require registration.
Register via email: email@example.com.
Please include which dates you would like to attend.
Register by July 11th.
July Series: July 13, 20, 27, 4pm
August Series: August 10, 17, 24, 4pm