The Shipping Supervisor keeps the shipping team and department on-task by receiving and distributing all items received. This position supports the Coordinator of Materials Manager in the delivery of basic and enhanced library services and programs requiring expeditious materials turn around deadlines to all Queens Public Library locations, satisfying customer demand (both internal and external).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for managing internal operations of distributing materials to Central Library and outbound destinations. Manages shipping/receiving issues across agencies and maintaining the circulation of routing materials inbound and outbound.
- Manages continually changing priorities in a fast-paced environment and continuously improves Shipping’s’ responsiveness to organizational demands.
- Ensures the Shipping team remains flexible, on-task and on-schedule in movement of library materials and furniture.
- Schedules justifiable overtime for after-shift and weekends, fairly and equitably, with the approval of the Materials Manager Coordinator.
- Oversees and works with staff to identify trends, recommends improvements and responds with a conscience plan.
- Collaborates with staff on changes to truck routes in order to maintain and meet material circulation goals. Coordinates changes during shifts in vehicles and/or drivers availability, as well as branch opening and closings.
- Maintains an active fact file record of observations, interaction, coaching/counseling and positive feedback of staff for their annual reviews.
- Processes invoices and expenses for identified budget/funds in SAP with manager. Creates requisitions and manages goods receipts.
- Ensures all staff receives required training and certifications for safe and proper operations of vehicles, tools, electrical and manual equipment.
- Ensures safety standards are adhered to and schedule safety seminars annually with Risk Management Department.
- Prepares reports weekly or as needed for items shipped, received, internal item movement and department metrics related to materials management and movement activity.
- Ensures reports are accurate and meet all requirements.
- Ensures technical operations (mechanical and information technology needs) of the department are optimally functioning.
- Ensures GPS and all other technical equipment in vehicles are functioning properly.
- Maintains fleet of 30-50 vehicles, including maintenance of all shipping stock levels for fleet inventory items.
- Processes and maintains appropriate documentation for vehicles (e.g. insurance, registration) filing hard and soft copies.
- Maintenance of MVO forms, all vehicle registrations/oil changes/breaks/transmission and all necessary vehicle service.
- Ensures that all timesheets (overtime, hourly rate, and regular) are reviewed and accurate, then digitally provided to supervisor.
- Conducts periodic vehicle inspection for on the spot maintenance.
- Supervises the loading and unloading of route materials.
- Responds to seasonal activities and needs for library operations including street fairs and special events.
- Coordinates with Facilities & Environmental Services (FES) on the status of building renovation schedules to make sure all locations’ status are reflected in the distribution route systems, mail delivery and forwards to applicable locations (e.g. building closures and location of services and staff).
- Checks all items received, disposition materials by department, and audit inbound delivery software to make sure that end user has received all products.
- Manages the circulation of new and routed materials, book sale pick up, reserves, and any program or service that relies on the shipment of materials to customers.
- Demonstrates adept responses to Shipping team and senior leadership.
- Assesses the nature and relevance of requests from departments and agencies and responds appropriately.
- Works cross-functionally across all departments of TSD/MMD (Preparations, Collection Development, Acquisitions, Metadata, and Inter Library Loan).
- Collaborates with FES custodial staff on movement of furniture and fixtures.
- Provides coverage for Motor Vehicle Operators’ absences.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule based on operational needs. Schedule may include evening and weekends.
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma required.
- 5 years of experience in shipping with 2 years in supervisory role required.
- Current Valid NYS Driver’s License, Class D and 2 years driving experience. (May be required to obtain Class E license upon hire.)
- Knowledge of and ability to make minor repairs and handle light vehicle maintenance. Metric report preparation.
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills, interpersonal/customer service skills.
- Must be PC literate with intermediate-level experience with MS Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to operate a computer for processing of reports and maintaining relevant departmental information.
- Associates Degree or 2 years college preferred.
- Knowledge of shipping information preferred.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 66 locations.
TO APPLY: Please email your resume and cover letter to: QLcareers@queenslibrary.org and reference “Shipping Supervisor – QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.