DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Queens Public Library Foundation is a separate non-profit organization which serves as the fundraising arm of Queens Public Library. Its mission is to raise funds to support the programs, services, and resources offered by Queens Public Library.
The Executive Director of the Queens Public Library Foundation is responsible for leading the development and implementation of robust and diverse fundraising and development strategies and initiatives to support and enhance Queens Public Library’s program and service priorities and strategic goals.
Reporting to the Chief of Staff, working closely with the President/CEO, and serving as a critical member of the organization’s leadership team, this individual is responsible for securing and expanding funding for the Library from individuals, corporations, and foundations and for leading the planning and execution of prospecting and cultivation events and special campaigns.
The Executive Director will create and implement the organizational structure and comprehensive strategic plan for strengthening the Foundation’s fundraising capacity. This individual will develop key external relationships and alliances to build the Library’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. They will work collaboratively with key Library staff across the organization to identify funding interests and needs and secure individual and philanthropic support for existing and new initiatives.
The Executive Director is the primary liaison to the Foundation’s Board of Directors, supporting their role as thoughtful advisors and active fundraisers, and securing new Board members who will bring expertise and increased resources to the Library.
- Leads efforts to ensure the stability and growth of critical revenue streams from individual, major gift, planned giving, special event, corporate, and foundation sources.
- Cultivates, solicits, and engages donors at all levels, including individual and institutional funders.
- Assumes high visibility as a fundraising spokesperson for the organization.
- Partners with the President/CEO to ensure his effectiveness as chief spokesperson and fundraiser for Queens Public Library.
- Leads the development of an effective ladder for donors to participate in Queens Public Library giving.
- Leads staff in the cultivation of deeper ties to donors and identification of untapped opportunities for support.
- Oversees and manages the identification, solicitation, and stewardship of existing and prospective major gift donors, including individuals and corporations.
- Ensures comprehensive, timely, and innovative stewardship of all gifts.
- Helps plan and execute prospecting and cultivation events.
- Collaborates with key staff across the organization to identify current and new fundraising interests and ensure that funds raised align with Queens Public Library priorities.
- Oversees development and execution of compelling and timely proposals for unrestricted funding as well as for designated projects and programs.
- Leads and oversees grants management, compliance, and reporting requirements.
- Institutes best practices for managing prospects and donors and ensure top-notch customer service.
- Upholds and communicates our shared responsibility for ethical fundraising and development practices, donor confidentiality, and security of donor records.
- Oversees research of funding sources and trends.
- Optimizes systems and processes to support fundraising goals.
- Integrates direct mail and online giving with individual and major giving strategies.
- Monitors all donor information, provide and present analyses to Board and senior leaders.
- Monitors and reports regularly on the progress of the development program.
- Analyzes progress against plans, monitor expenses and cost-per-dollar raised.
- Effectively manages and organizes the department’s day-to-day operations and budgets.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Actively works with Chief of Staff and leadership team to develop and implement a comprehensive vision and development strategy in support of Queens Public Library’s program and services priorities and goals.
- Evaluates the Foundation’s strengths, weaknesses, structure and staffing and develop and implement systematic short-term and long-range plans to increase giving.
- Assesses the cost-effectiveness of development strategies to ensure short- and long-term viability.
- Tracks and reports the progress of strategic initiatives and seek ways to improve, update, redesign, streamline and otherwise improve Queens Public Library Foundation and its effectiveness.
- Advises on new initiatives.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS RELATIONS AND DEVELOPMENT:
- Identifies and stewards new Board member prospects.
- Manages relations and support for Board of Directors of the Foundation, including providing them with timely reports and scheduling and organizing quarterly Board meetings.
- Engages the Board in a rigorous and thoughtful approach to increasing fundraising capacity and results and inspire them to action.
- Builds constructive working relationships with and provide support to Board members in the effective identification, cultivation and solicitation of their portfolios of prospective major donors.
- Identifies, develops, and nurtures growth of the Foundation team and its capacity.
- Develops a high-quality team that is well prepared to meet the ongoing challenges of a world-class institution.
- Ensures that team members work in an environment of mutual respect, collaboration, excellence, and innovation and have responsibility and ownership for results.
- Develops clear processes and strong communication and collaboration with colleagues across the organization to build funding opportunities and serve Library priorities and objectives.
- Serves as a key member of the organization’s leadership team.
The schedule for this position may include evenings and weekends.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
- Ten years or more of experience in fundraising/development managing a range of philanthropy functions and at least five years of experience supervising professional staff required.
- The ideal candidate will be a highly competent, dynamic, and forward-thinking leader with a deep appreciation for the mission of Queens Public Library and a passion for fundraising.
- They will have unquestionable integrity, sound judgment, and a sophisticated knowledge of New York City, national philanthropic and/or the business community.
- Will have a track record of success in fundraising across all areas of development, including major and planned giving, foundation and corporate fundraising, prospecting, stewardship, and event planning.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills and experience managing a team to achieve aggressive goals are also essential.
- Must be exceptionally polished, professional, and articulate and have the intellectual depth and interpersonal skills to work comfortably and effectively with the President/CEO, Chief of Staff, Board of Directors, colleagues, diverse stakeholders, corporate executives and donors at all levels.
- The ideal candidate will also have strong organizational, implementation, and management skills. Must possess exceptional attention to details and the ability to work creatively and strategically.
- They should have knowledge of financial controls, gift acceptance, gift accounting, information systems, and grant making.
- Must have the ability to build and motivate a cohesive, high-performing staff and to develop and nurture their skills.
- A demonstrated ability to establish and maintain strong, collaborative working relationships with varied internal and external constituencies is critical.
- Must have the ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 66 locations.
TO APPLY: Please send a resume and cover letter to Execsearch@queenslibrary.org and reference “Executive Director, Queens Public Library Foundation – QLWEB” in the subject line.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.