FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, July 19, 2019
18 QPL LOCATIONS TO SERVE AS CITY-DESIGNATED COOLING CENTERS ON SUNDAY, JULY 21
JAMAICA, N.Y. – Queens Public Library will open 15 additional branches on Sunday, July 21, to serve as NYC Emergency Management-designated cooling centers during the current heat wave. Three QPL locations (Central, Flushing and Kew Gardens Hills) that regularly offer Sunday service will also be open.
All 18 locations will be open from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Additionally, QPL has partnered with Lyft to provide free rides for people traveling to and from three library branches serving as cooling centers – Rochdale Village, Corona, and Arverne – between now and July 21 at 5 p.m. Rides can be accessed using the code NYCCOOL19. The code is valid for two rides, up to $15 each.
The QPL system has 62 libraries across the borough, including Central Library in Jamaica. For a map of all of the City’s cooling centers, visit https://maps.nyc.gov/oem/cc/.
The following 18 locations will be open on Sunday, July 21:
- Arverne, 312 Beach 54 Street, Arverne, 11692
- Astoria, 14-01 Astoria Boulevard, Astoria, 11102
- Bayside, 214-20 Northern Boulevard, Bayside, 11361
- Bellerose, 250-06 Hillside Avenue, Bellerose, 11426
- Broadway, 40-20 Broadway, Long Island City, 11103
- Central, 89-11 Merrick Boulevard, Jamaica, 11432
- Corona, 38-23 104 Street, Corona 11368
- Flushing, 41-17 Main Street, Flushing, 11355
- Hollis, 202-05 Hillside Avenue., Hollis, 11423
- Howard Beach, 92-06 156 Avenue, Howard Beach, 11414
- Jackson Heights, 35-51 81 Street, Jackson Heights, 11372
- Kew Gardens Hills, 72-33 Vleigh Place, Flushing 11367
- Long Island City, 37-44 21 Street, Long Island City, N.Y. 11101
- North Forest Park, 98-20 Metropolitan Avenue, Forest Hills, 11375
- Richmond Hill, 118-14 Hillside Avenue, Richmond Hill, 11418
- Ridgewood, 20-12 Madison Street, Ridgewood, 11385
- Rochdale Village, 169-09 137 Avenue, Jamaica, 11434
- St. Albans, 191-05 Linden Blvd., St. Albans, 11412
CONTACT: Elisabeth de Bourbon, 917-499-0867 or Ewa Kern-Jedrychowska, 718-990-0706, email@example.com