Using Your Card
Queens Public Library cardholders may borrow materials free from the Central Library or any of the community libraries. A PIN (Personal Identification Number) may be required for some services.
Account holders can:
- Use a public access desktop computer at any Queens Public Library for up to an hour (time limit may vary by location).
- Access the wireless internet (Wi-Fi) at any Queens Public Library location and borrow laptop computers for in library use (where available) for free.
- Access all Queens Public Library online resources, including databases inside the library or from a remote location.
- Borrow up to 50 items on your card at any time for most materials. (Most items may be borrowed for 21 days. Most bestsellers, CDs, magazines, multi-set and nonfiction DVDS, video games, and high demand items may be borrowed for 7 days. Items can be renewed up to 3 times. Materials that have been requested by other customers are not renewable. All materials except Inter-Library Loan and Reference materials may be borrowed.)
- Return Queens Public Library materials to any Queens Public Library location.
Borrowing CDs, DVDs, and Video Games
- Customers must have a valid adult Queens Public Library Card that is in good standing to borrow multimedia materials. Children under 12 with a juvenile card may only borrow children’s CDs, DVDs, and video games.
- Most DVDs are 3 day loans. The date due is printed on your receipt at check out. Video Games, documentary and instructional tapes are loaned for 7 days.
- You may borrow a maximum of 10 DVDs checked out at any time.
- You may borrow a maximum of 3 video games checked out at any time.
- This is a free service, as long as the materials are returned on time.
- CDs, DVDs, and video games may be renewed up to three times.
- CDs, DVDs, and video games can be returned to any Queens Public Library location. (The customer is responsible for the return of materials in good condition. If any items are lost or damaged, the full cost will be charged to the borrower. Customers may also be charged for missing and damaged labels.)
- CDs and DVDs can be requested.
- Video games cannot be requested.
- CDs, DVDs, and video games can all be reserved for same day pick-up by customers at the owning library location.
Usage Guidelines and Regulations
- Copyright laws limit CDs, DVDs, and video games to home viewing only and prohibit their duplication.
- Please keep multimedia materials away from direct sunlight or sources of heat.
- Multimedia materials playback equipment must be at room temperature 2 hours before use.
- Multimedia recorder heads must be cleaned regularly, according to the amount of player use, in order to prevent damage to the material.
- Failure to comply with these policies may result in the suspension of borrowing privileges.
- Queens Public Library assumes no responsibility for damage to any camcorder, DVD player, or other equipment; privately or personally owned, which may result from use of its video materials.
- Your library card is issued for a 5-year period (1 year for out of state customers). Computer-use-only cards expire 12 hours after activation. Expired cards may be renewed for another five years. Valid identification of your name and address may be required.
- Please inform Queens Public Library if your name, address, phone number or e-mail changes.
- Your library card is for your personal use only. It may not be lent to anyone. You are solely responsible for all items charged out on your account.
- Children, with parental consent, may have open access to adult and young adult materials.
- For your protection, report a lost or stolen library card immediately. You can either Contact Us or visit any Queens Public Library location. You are responsible for all items charged out on your card until you notify the Library that it is missing.
- A fee of $2.00 will be charged to replace a lost, stolen, or damaged library card.
- Once your balance reaches $50 or more on your account, or you have more than 20 items overdue, you will not be able to place holds or check out physical materials until you have returned your lost items or paid the replacement fees. In the future, accounts for customers ages 18 and older with an unpaid balance of $50 or more will also be submitted to QPL’s vendor, Unique Management Services, who will contact you on our behalf about making payment arrangements or returning overdue items. Your balance will not be reported to credit bureaus or affect your credit score.
QPL does not charge late fines on overdue items. Items that are lost or not returned will be charged to your account as fees. After incurring $50 of fees, your borrowing privileges will be suspended.
Other Items Fees Fees
Lost CD or cassette case $1.00
Lost library card replacement fee $2.00
Lost video/DVD case $2.00
Missing item label $1.00
Non-N.Y.S. resident library card: one year $50.00
Returned check fee $25.00