DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervises and oversees Library Attendant Guards and Watchpersons at the Central library. Recommends and implements appropriate disciplinary actions when required. Reports disciplinary actions taken to supervisor.
- Performs all the duties of a Library Attendant Guard and/or Watchperson, including but not limited to, patrolling the internal and external grounds of the Library.
- Maintains order in the library and enforces library policies intervening in situations involving customers and/or employees that pose a threat to the safety of persons in the Library.
- Verifies employee identification, greets visitors and issues approved visitor passes. May be assigned to operate elevators and/or monitor the 1st Floor lobby security console at Central as needed.
- Prepares and conducts job performance evaluations of Library Attendant Guards and/or Watchpersons and prepares to Investigations & Security Department (ISD) reports when required.
- Supervises contract security assigned to Queens Public Library facilities when necessary. Supervises security staff assigned to special events.
- Tracks sick time and attendance issues of Library Attendant Guards and/or Watchpersons and reports findings to supervisor.
- Responsible for ensuring that all security staff are in proper uniform and have appropriate equipment when necessary.
- Supervises the closing procedures ensuring that bathrooms and public areas are clear of customers, and that all staff and customers have properly exited the facility.
- Performs other duties as required.
The schedule for this position will include evenings, overnight shifts and weekends.
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma required.
- New York State Guard License required.
- Certificate of Fire Watch Guard F03 issued by the New York City Fire Department preferred.
- One (1) year of full-time supervisory security experience required.
- Must have proficient writing and communication skills. Basic understanding of Microsoft Word and Excel required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Required to utilize a computer to enter and retrieve information; and to communicate with other staff members as well as with external customers. Use of telephone, copier, fax, desktop computer and other office equipment. Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. May use a computer/video display terminal for up to 8 hours per day. Ability to stand for up to 8 hours per day.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 66 locations.
To Apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to QLcareers@queenslibrary.org and reference “Uniformed Security Guard Supervisor - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.