DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides library service to the community with an emphasis on teens and preteens. Provides reference and readers’ advisory services.
- Explains and assists customers in use of print and electronic resources. Conducts training sessions for the public in the use of the library OPAC and the internet.
- Answers correspondence and inquiries on special reference subjects. Conducts reference interviews. Suggests and refers customers to alternative sources of information internal and external to the Library.
- Processes reserves and interloans requests. Performs collection development with an emphasis on developing quality young adult materials including selecting and ordering materials for the library collection and approves acceptance of gifts.
- Determines usage patterns of collections by assessing frequency of circulation, physical condition and other criteria as needed. Promotes library collection and services to the public assembles and arranges displays of books and other library materials. Maintains reference and circulation materials. Plans, and conducts programs.
- May perform one or more of the following duties: investigates technologies that will improve services; creates, develops, maintains, or contributes to branch web page; supervise hourly rate employees; compiles bibliographies and develops library user guides, both printed and electronic.
- Performs other duties as required.
The schedule for this position will include Saturdays and evenings.
- Must have a MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA-accredited library school.
- New York State Public Librarian’s Certificate required.
- Must have performance evaluation of standard or above in public service positions.
- Must have the ability to work with a diverse population and effectively provide customer service to a large number of customers simultaneously.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 66 locations.
TO APPLY: Send your resume and cover letter to QLcareers@queenslibrary.org and reference “Teen Librarian - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
Starting annual salary is $59,051.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.