DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Queens Memory Community Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the Queens Memory Ambassadors Program. This includes managing the ambassador nomination and selection processes as well as managing selected volunteer ambassadors through their year of service to the Queens Public Library. Coordinates outreach to the public about the Library’s Queens Memory Project via public events and promotional activities such as social media outreach. Manages and participates in the processing workflow of archival donations from the public. Provides training and individual consultations to participants to build their businesses.
- Initiates partnerships and manages collaborative relationships with community organizations and individuals to produce public programs and collect local history records for the Library’s collections, specifically in service of the Queens Memory Ambassador Program.
- Assists Queens Memory Ambassadors in their research, event planning and community outreach.
- Serves as a liaison between the Metadata Services Unit, the Marketing and Communications Department and the Archives at Queens Public Library.
- Conducts oral history interviews and trains volunteer interviewers.
- Part of the team responsible for donor outreach aimed at completing donation packages, and maintaining positive donor relationships via regular news and updates about collections and events.
- Contributes to the appearance and curation of digital archives websites.
- Maintains up-to-date expertise in the areas of oral history, public history, community archiving, born digital collections and volunteer mobilization.
- Provides recommendations and plays a lead role with developing and bringing new standards into the Library’s practices.
- Performs accession processing and quality control for all new digital archives donations from the public and from partner institutions.
- Responsible for contributing to archival processing for all digital archive collections.
- Coordinates with Metadata Services Librarians who create VRA Core, MARC, Dublin Core and EAD records for archival materials (oral histories, photographs, manuscripts, etc.).
- Supervises hourly-rate staff, volunteers and interns as needed on digital archives projects.
- Evaluates the work of hourly-rate staff and volunteers to ensure that programs are of appropriate quality and that resources are used effectively.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Humanities, Public History, Liberal Arts or a related field required.
- Two years of experience in community work or community centered activities.
- Experience with community archiving and/or oral history projects required.
- Able to perform independently, be self-motivated and juggle multiple tasks with a positive attitude.
- Must be detailed oriented.
- Ability to work well as a team member.
- Willingness to adapt to new technologies and processes.
- One to two years of experience managing hourly-rate, staff, volunteers and/or interns.
- Background in recruitment or community organizing.
- Knowledge of digital archives, providing reference services for archival collections, public programming and archival processing.
- Archives certification or professional archival experience.
- Fluency with language spoken in Queens.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. We transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of offering pioneering programs and services to the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 65 locations.
TO APPLY: Please email your resume and cover letter to QLcareers@queenslibrary.org and reference “Queens Memory Community Coordinator - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer