DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Within the larger scope of formal and informal learning of the Programs & Services Department (PSD), the Older Adult Program Assistant is responsible for assisting and provides administrative support to the Older Adult Mail-A-Book Coordinator, in all aspects of programming including preparing contracts, coordinating programming, outreach visits, and providing clerical support to the department.
- Coordinates and facilitates programs for the department.
- Monitors program matrix.
- Orders special equipment and supplies.
- Ensures proper room arrangements.
- Orders routine publicity as soon as details are available.
- Initiates and processes purchase orders and goods receipts.
- Arranges set up for programming with presenters and/or supplies them with needed direction.
- Performs routine clerical functions associated with program coordination such as telephone calls, correspondence, etc.
- Word processes; types; enters data; maintains files; copies; distributes mail; orders supplies; maintains office equipment; answers telephone.
- Supplies support for Mail-a-Book operations.
- With regards to collections, weeds, shelves, shifts materials.
- Prepares new and existing materials for customer use.
- Customer service duties are performed in support of Mail-a-Book homebound services.
- Assists with training part time staff on Mail-a-Book routines and directs part timers in prioritizing work.
- Enters schedules, corrects and approves timecards for part time employees.
- Runs reports, keeps track of accruals and troubleshoots problems in Kronos.
- Prepares contracts for Older Adult Services.
- Serves as liaison to other departments for program related functions.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date databases.
- Alerts the Program Planner to any problem or concern regarding programs.
- Places telephone calls for coordinators.
- Provides interdepartmental referrals when appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associates Degree required.
- Must have a minimum of one year customer service experience with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have one year of administrative experience related to or including program and/or event coordination.
- Supervisory/Management experience desirable, but demonstrated supervisory and managerial aptitude is required.
- Must be proficient with Word, Excel and other office software. Must be detailed orientated and have strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Performance evaluations of standard or above in public service positions required.
- Must have the ability to work with a diverse population of customers and effectively provide customer service to a high volume of customers.
- Must be friendly, courteous, and professional and have strong interpersonal skills to support customer service.
- Must be detail oriented, flexible and a self-starter.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 66 locations.
Please send your resume and cover letter to QLCareers@queenslibrary.org and reference “Older Adult Program Assistant - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.