DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
With considerable latitude for independent action, the Library Custodian position represents an exciting and challenging promotional opportunity. In partnership with the Community Library Manager and staff, this position will be responsible for building maintenance and program support at one of the busiest community libraries within our organization in terms of annual circulation, gate count, programs and/or program attendance.
- This position will manage the preservation of a community library within our organization in terms of building maintenance and cleaning, staff support, and program logistics.
- Overall responsibility for the management and maintenance of the assigned agency and may have supervision of custodial team members.
- This position may be required to respond to emergency situations that require custodial assistance as needed. Maintains daily building logs for visitors, vendors, utility companies, and contractors.
- Performs general heavy industrial cleaning, such as high and low dusting, floor care, vacuuming, waxing and buffing. Performs spot work and gum removal. Scours all rest room fixtures, including tile walls and mirrors. Sanitizes restrooms and refurbishes toiletries as required. Unclogs sinks and toilets as needed. Discards all rubbish and recycles in compliance with New York State laws.
- Performs some heavy lifting as needed. Inventories, maintains and orders custodial materials and equipment for the building.
- Performs general grounds care including but not limited to monitoring grounds, sweeping sidewalks and removing weeds from cracks and crevices. Cleans all exterior and interior glass.
- The ideal candidate for the Library Custodian position must have demonstrated experience in the following competencies; customer service orientation, team commitment, conscientiousness, ownership, and problem solving. Leading the team competencies is applicable when supervising direct reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
• Two years of satisfactory full-time experience in maintaining and cleaning a building required.
• A minimum of two (2) years of supervisory experience is preferred.
• Possession of a valid NY State driver license preferred.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. We transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of offering pioneering programs and services to the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 65 locations.
Please send your resume and cover letter to QLcareers@queenslibrary.org and reference “Library Custodian - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer