DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Junior Library Custodian (JLC) will work in partnership with the community library staff to create a clean and welcoming environment for our customers. The JLC is responsible for cleaning, maintaining, and compliance with safety requirements in a Library building.
- Performs such duties as sweeping, dusting, mopping, polishing, waxing, gathering and disposing of refuse. Removes snow from sidewalk and maintains lawns and shrubs. Performs general heavy industrial cleaning, such as high and low dusting, floor care, vacuuming, waxing and buffing. Performs spot work and gum removal. Scours all rest room fixtures, including tile walls and mirrors. Sanitizes restrooms and refurbishes toiletries as required. Discards all rubbish and recycles in compliance with all regulatory requirements.
- Performs some heavy lifting as needed. Inventories, maintains and orders custodial materials and equipment for the building. Reports building and grounds vandalism to Community Library Manager and FES department. Inspects buildings and grounds to note general condition, necessity for repairs, and responsible for the proper use, cleanliness and storage of tools and equipment.
- Maintain daily building logs, including arrival and departure times of visitors, vendors, utility companies, contractors and ensure completion of work. Complies with safety requirements and monitor the buildings and grounds from vandalism. Performs general grounds care.
- Checks roof drains and exterior floor drains for clogs weekly as required and report issues as needed. Maintains and operates heating ventilating and air-conditioning system, and reports conditions requiring mechanical services. Routinely inspects air handling units and/or air conditioning, as well as all other equipment. Changes air conditioning and handling unit filters. Performs minor repairs and maintains custodial equipment such as snow/leaf blowers, vacuums, lawn mowers and various floor machinery.
- Unclogs sinks and toilets as needed. Performs furniture moves and early morning program set-ups as needed. Performs pre-season maintenance check.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma, General Equivalency Diploma, or High School Equivalency required.
- Prior full-time/paid custodial cleaning experience required.
- Proficiency with computers and Microsoft Office applications is a plus.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license is a plus.
ABOUT QUEENS LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. We transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of offering pioneering programs and services to the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 65 locations.
Please send your resume and cover letter to QLcareers@queenslibrary.org and reference “Junior Library Custodian - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer