DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Human Resources Specialist will serve as a liaison business partner to managers, supervisors, and employees across the organization by performing a variety of transactions as it relates to leaves of absences and retirements. Coordinates new hire orientations. Maintains and updates reports, new employee documents, orientation, timecards, and applicant files. Will assist with special projects, and compliance reporting. Performs other duties as required.
- Provides assistance and interpretation of guidelines/policies regarding time off work for FMLA, PFL, and approved leaves of absence.
- Manages employee absences and leaves tracking.
- Processes all paperwork related to FMLA, PFL, leaves without pay, and return from leaves.
- Updates employees’ records.
- Determines eligibility for leaves.
- Mails required forms for approved leaves of absences to employees in a timely manner.
- Audits and reconciles timecards for leave requests.
- Responds to employee inquiries.
- Meets with pending retirees to discuss overall retirement process.
- Prepares retirement worksheets.
- Prepares Employee Profile Forms for retirements and separations.
- Processes notifications, mailings and communication materials for employees and retirees.
- Audits and reconciles timecards for retirements and separations as needed.
- Ensures onboarding paperwork is processed for new hires.
- Will be responsible for entering and updating employee information in the new Kronos Timekeeping system, including accrual rates.
- Ensures all required onboarding paperwork is completed and filed.
- Verifies annual leave, sick leave and compensatory time balances to ensure accuracy.
- Inputs new hire information into the Human Resources Information System.
- Conducts and/or participates in new Full Time and Part Time employee orientation.
- Will conduct trainings on the new Kronos system.
- Administers the Queens Public Library’s Donated Sick Leave Program. Verifies time and leave balances, routes forms, acquires approvals, and communicates outcomes to employees.
- Maintains and tracks accurate program data, and produces reports.
- Performs special projects.
- High School Diploma required. Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years of related administrative experience required; preferably within the field of Human Resources.
- Must have experience performing clerical duties in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent organization, interpersonal, customer service and computer skills required (MS Office /Excel).
- Must be able to multi-task and handle sensitive and confidential material.
- Must have the ability to prioritize duties and demonstrate initiative.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. We transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of offering pioneering programs and services to the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 65 locations.
TO APPLY: Send your resume and cover letter to Employment@queenslibrary.org and reference “Human Resources Specialist - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.