DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Government Affairs Manager is a key part of a dynamic team that is vital to the Library’s success. Under the direction of the Director of Government Affairs, the Government Affairs Manager assists with advocating for and advancing Queens Public Library’s vision and mission relative to legislative issues and government and community stakeholders. The Government Affairs Manager supports the Government Affairs team in establishing and maintaining strong relationships with government and community partners to secure and expand funding for the Library and support Library services and resources.
Government Affairs and Relationship Management
- Serves as a representative of Queens Public Library (QPL) at meetings with community boards, coalitions, and government agencies. Attends other meetings and events as necessary to inform public and government stakeholders of Queens Public Library’s priorities and activities.
- Develops and maintains a broad base of legislative, governmental, industry, and community contacts that include key stakeholder relationships at borough, city and state levels.
- Maintains clear, accurate and timely communication with elected officials and their staff members.
- Addresses concerns and issues that arise with elected officials and other stakeholders in a timely and effective manner.
- Collaborates with elected officials’ staff to handle requests for space at QPL locations, including, for example, reserving meeting rooms and space for office hours, programming, neighborhood assemblies, and other community outreach.
- Provides regular updates to community boards about QPL news, programming and events.
- Liaises with the Capital Projects Management department regarding ongoing projects in elected officials’ districts.
- Serves as a liaison between Brooklyn Public Library and New York Public Library for ‘Tri-Li” initiatives.
- Collaborates with external organizations and public offices and leads, facilitates and/or participates in committees and planning groups as required.
- Leads the planning and implementation of QPL events and meetings involving external stakeholders.
- Supports special QPL events such as library openings, anniversary celebrations, and ribbon cuttings.
- Coordinates internal and external initiatives, such as National Voter Registration Day and Participatory Budgeting, and engages QPL staff and other stakeholders.
- Conducts necessary research and compiles comprehensive reports.
- Assists with providing statistical data and other information for required city, state and local reports.
- Assists the Director of Government Affairs with formulating and implementing strategies for budgetary and legislative advocacy at the city, state and federal levels.
- Develops and manages relationships with community boards, district managers, chairpersons, community leaders and community groups to promote advocacy and awareness of library programs and services.
- Assists in preparation of background materials, testimony, and presentations for governmental meetings and hearings, for example, New York City Council and New York State Assembly hearings.
- Works with various internal departments to convey and fulfill advocacy efforts and to identify library validators such as Queens Public Library’s staff, Friends, volunteers, and others.
- Collaborates with the Director of Government Affairs to develop a legislative agenda and advocates for the library service needs of communities.
- Creates opportunities for recognition of support, including scheduling of meetings, press events and photo opportunities with elected officials.
- Helps coordinate advocacy events, such as rallies and press conferences.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science or related field is required.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in public policy, advocacy, government relations or other related field is required.
- Excellent communication skills required including the ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with colleagues, consultants, governmental agency representatives, City, State, and Federal officials, and the general public.
- Understanding of city and state budget and legislative processes.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as independently.
- Passion for the mission of Queens Public Library.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The schedule for this position will include occasional travel, some evening and weekend hours required.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 65 locations.
TO APPLY: Please email your resume and cover letter to: Employment@queenslibrary.org and reference “Government Affairs Manager – QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
Starting annual salary range is $65,000 - $88,000.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.