DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Within the larger scope of formal and informal learning of the Programs & Services Department’s (PSD) New Americans Program (NAP) division, the ESOL Program Specialist will provide extensive quality professional support to the Queens Public Library’s NAP/ESOL Program. Duties will include assisting in all aspects of guiding and running the ESOL Program smoothly and effectively, including scheduling of classes and teachers, registration, testing, data collection, and curriculum development. Preparing class schedules for approximately 80 ESOL classes a year, coordinating teacher assignments, scheduling staff development meetings, and assisting in ESOL registrations at various library locations. Monitoring the preparation of registration packets, collecting data and entering it into the appropriate data management system (ASISTS/LAMPS), monitoring lesson planning and class attendance, tracking ESOL inventory including textbooks, BEST Plus and BEST Literacy tests, and answering teacher and student inquiries.
- Responsible for assisting with the evaluation and management of ESOL programming. Assists in providing direction for current adult learning programs and maintaining and/or enhancing enrollment number and retention rates.
- Ensures programming quality based on enrollment/retention via coordinating internal and external audits and conducts community outreach, community needs assessments as well as address and resolve all issues to ensure overall positive participant satisfaction. Strict adherence to program standards/SOP, case and file management guidelines.
- Enters Data into LAMPS on a monthly basis and in ASISTS regularly. Maintains students’ files and ensures that date entry is accurate.
- Helps coordinate the reproduction of materials for every semester. Runs performance evaluation reports on a monthly basis or as required by the program coordinator.
- Helps to oversee the day-to-day operations of the program.
- Oversees the policies and procedures for the program and coordinate operations with community library staff as needed.
- Manages the collection and distribution of program operations statistical data for reporting purposes, including adherence to program standards and government contract reporting.
- Maintains program statistical data as required by funding requirements and program standards. Helps to monitor, develop and enhance comprehensive means of assessment and outcomes tracking. Assists with preparing and overseeing reporting on programs as needed and required. Uses latest technology to develop and deliver high-quality, effective learning programs and services.
- Provides backup assistance and support monitoring performance of staff members according to established program standards.
- Arranges and participates in staff development and training programs directly relating to the program. Follows up to ensure programming and operations are effective.
- Ensures adequate volunteer development by creating a professional development plan for volunteers, and track their achievement over time.
- Coordinates all volunteer and intern pre-placement training, proper orientation, feedback/evaluation and recognition.
- Collects and prepares timesheets for processing.
- Ensures that assigned funding codes are correct for teaching staff.
- Performs other duties as required.
The schedule for this position will include Saturdays and evenings as well as frequent site visits at multiple program sites as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree and three years of experience in ESOL/adult education setting are required.
- In depth knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Experience handling large volumes of data and working with data management systems.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required.
- Must be detail oriented, flexible and a self-starter.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as required by the program, especially during registration periods when work schedules may change for 3 to 4 weeks.
- Ability to cover or substitute in the absence of the assigned teacher of a class, due to illness or an emergency.
- Strong customer service skills required.
- Fluency in English and a second language spoken in Queens.
- BEST Plus and BEST Literacy certification is preferred.
- Knowledge of National Reporting System (NRS) is a plus.
- Working Knowledge of databases.
- Working Knowledge of Google drive and Google docs.
- Working knowledge of Learning Management Systems (LMS.)
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. We transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of offering pioneering programs and services to the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 65 locations.
TO APPLY: Please email your resume and cover letter to: QLcareers@queenslibrary.org and reference “ESOL Program Specialist – QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.