DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Organizational Assessment, the Data Analyst is responsible for data collection, formatting, analysis, and visualization of library services, programs, and community-level data. This position will contribute to Queens Public Library’s (QPL) culture of data-driven planning and decision-making. The Data Analyst will assist in the creation of data presentations, reports, dashboards, and maps that effectively communicate findings from analyses.
- Collects, formats, and analyzes library service metrics, programs data, and community-level data to identify trends, correlations, and actionable insights that are useful for planning and delivering programs and services. Documents and tracks data on factors impacting trends in library service metrics.
- Responds to internal and external requests for data and special reports related to Library operations and demographically targeted services as needed.
- Identifies publicly available datasets (i.e. Census, NYC Open Data) applicable to program planning and improvement of library services. Collects, analyzes, and correlates census data and other publicly available datasets relevant to QPL’s library service areas and communities.
- Identifies and implements process improvements, resulting in more efficient data collection, reporting, and analysis workflows (i.e. code script development, automation of data collection and formatting, etc.).
- Supports and project manages initiatives to collect, report, and manage internal performance metrics. Conducts predictive analytics, establishes benchmarks for service metrics for each branch, and contributes to ongoing performance management.
- Collects, prepares, and submits Federal, State, and Local reports as needed/required.
- Assists in compiling monthly reports and data summaries to senior leadership.
- Consolidates and organizes data documents, definitions, spreadsheets, and code scripts into GitHub and/or other centralized, accessible folders.
- Assists in development of surveys, evaluation frameworks, logic models, and performance metrics pertaining to QPL’s programs.
- Analyzes survey findings and summarizes key takeaways. Conducts literature reviews and summaries of best practices, synthesizing best practices at other library systems to consider for adoption at QPL.
- Creates, enhances, and maintains existing platforms related to data collection, storage, maintenance, and visualization (i.e. dashboards, community partner database, etc.).
- Attends webinars on relevant subject content (data analysis, implementing equity principles in data collection, etc.) and summarize key takeaways.
- Assists in identification and implementation of technological platforms that facilitate data streamlining, accessibility, and visualization.
- Assists in the provision of regular updates on data to staff; participates in meetings with other library systems and key stakeholders and records meeting notes and next steps.
- Visualizes data in BI dashboard reports and maps and summarizes key takeaways from data analyses.
- Assists in expanding staff capacity to easily access and use dashboards and maps. Develops data dictionaries, standard operating procedures, user guides, manuals, and training webinars that provide guidance to staff on use of dashboards, map webapps, databases, and other data visualization tools.
- Assists in development of PPT presentations and reports that succinctly communicate and summarize trends and patterns of data pertaining to library services, survey findings, Census data, publicly available datasets (NYC Open data), and program evaluations.
- Fulfills other related data, assessment, and evaluation requests from staff (as needed).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience data collection, data wrangling, data analysis, reporting, and visualization.
- Experience using statistical software packages (R, Python, etc.) to collect, format, and analyze data.
- Experience working with Census data (American Community Survey, PUMS, decennial, etc.); knowledge of incorporating publicly available community-level datasets (NYC Open Data) into analyses.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel and Google Suite platforms (Docs, Slides, Sheets, etc.) required.
- Familiarity with an enterprise Business Intelligence tool (e.g., Power BI, Google Data Studio, Tableau, etc.).
- Familiarity with survey tools, such as SurveyMonkey and Google Forms.
- Familiarity with mapping platforms (ArcGIS, QGIS, Mapbox, Carto, etc.).
- Familiarity with CRM database platforms.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 65 locations.
TO APPLY: Please email your resume and cover letter to: Employment@queenslibrary.org and reference “Data Analyst - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
Starting annual salary range is $48,000 - $64,000.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.