DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Director of Marketing, the Content Writer and Editor is responsible for developing original and compelling copy that speaks to the diverse audience groups that are served at the Queens Public Library, from children to immigrants to older adults, through various marketing materials, including email, social media, flyers, brochures, and website. The Content Writer and Editor will also ensure that all copy follows the tone and style of the Queens Public Library brand. Collaborates with graphic designers, production team, programs and services, and other departments on marketing projects. Manages at least one part-time staff member that will assist with copyediting and writing. Performs other duties as assigned.
Manage blog and website/mobile app content
- Creates content and ideas for Queens Public Library’s blog, including event recaps, booklists, interviews, and more.
- Manages all program descriptions on the website by creating, proofing, editing, and fact-checking the content; works with program requestors on program descriptions as needed.
- Updates all page content on the Queens Public Library website and mobile app as needed, which can include copy, photos, and lists.
- Optimizes website copy by implementing Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategies
Marketing materials and campaign development
- Develops clear, attractive copy and subject line options for all Queens Public Library emails.
- Collaborates with the Social Media Manager on creating social media posts that drive engagement.
- Writes content for other materials, including direct mail, flyers, brochures, and online ads.
- Collaborates with designers and provides feedback on design elements.
- Develops copy for system-wide campaign materials and microsites.
Manage Production Schedule
- Sends or delivers proofs to requestors for approval prior to printing or promotion, and follow up as needed for feedback or final approval.
- Processes jobs and materials requests as needed.
- Forwards approved and rushed jobs to designers or provide a list of approved jobs to the Production team to assign or distribute.
- Assists with video storyboards.
- Curates and develops copy for various reports, such as Queens Public Library’s annual report.
- Conducts thorough research and interviews as needed.
- Creates and manages a comprehensive style guide for Queens Public Library staff and stakeholders across channels such as local marketing flyers, social media, and more.
- Stays current on trends within the editorial sphere.
- Learns about the various target audiences to develop relatable copy.
- Assists in other aspects of the creative or research process to create cohesive, accurate content.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position may require some local travel within Queens.
- Bachelor’s Degree required in English, communications, journalism, or related field.
- At least 2 years of experience as a writer/editor of both print and digital communications required.
- Must be familiar with Chicago Manual of Style.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Must have excellent time management skills with the ability to multitask and work in a deadline-driven environment.
- Must have a basic understanding of HTML.
- Excellent writing, spelling, and understanding of grammar are essential to this role.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite programs, such as InDesign, is a plus.
- SEO experience is a plus.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 65 locations.
TO APPLY: Send your resume and cover letter to Employment@queenslibrary.org and reference “Content Writer and Editor - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
Starting annual salary range is $56,000 - $76,000.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.