DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the guidance and mentoring of the Children’s Librarian, the Children’s Librarian Trainee assists the Children’s Librarian with providing high quality programs and library services to children ages 0 to 12 and their caregivers. Participates in outreach to local schools and with maintaining and developing collections based on community needs and interests. The Children’s Librarian Trainee reports to the Assistant Community Library Manager. This position is intended for students wishing to gain experience in librarianship and information work while obtaining a Master’s Degree in Library Science or Library Information Science and have completed at least 9 credits.
- Performs excellent internal and external customer service and library service in response to the information needs of library users and the overall community with an emphasis on children.
- Under the direction and guidance of the Children’s Librarian, assists with programming, readers’ guidance and reference services.
- Assists customers with the use of print and electronic resources. Recommends and refers customers and parents to alternative sources of information (internal and external to the Library).
- Assists in maintaining a pleasant, inviting, safe environment.
- May perform one or more of the following duties: investigates technologies that will improve services; creates, develops, maintains, or contributes to the community library web page and social media; compiles bibliographies and/or develops library user guides.
- Promotes library collections and services to the public.
- Performs reference interview and reader’s advisory services. Provides feedback and ideas to the Children’s Librarian and/or the Assistant Community Library Manager on collection development.
- Monitors the public service floor. Assembles and arranges displays of books and other library materials.
- Maintains reference and circulation materials.
- Publicizes programs. Participates in the planning and conducting of programs for children and their caregivers including: toddler and pre-school reading times, picture book hour, arts and crafts programs, and summer reading clubs.
- May support the Children’s Librarian with providing outreach to area elementary and nursery schools and community organizations serving children and families, informing them of library services and to develop partnerships for collaboration. Maintains and cultivates contact with schools and parents.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The schedule for this position will include Saturdays and evenings.
- Must be enrolled in a Master of Library Science/Master of Library Information Science program from an ALA-accredited library school and have completed a minimum of 9 credits.
- A New York State Public Librarian’s Certificate is required immediately upon completion of the MLS/MLIS degree.
- Must have the ability to work with a diverse population of children and effectively provide excellent customer service to a large number of children and their caregivers simultaneously.
- Excellent computer, communication and organizational skills required.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 65 locations.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume and cover letter to QLcareers@queenslibrary.org and reference “Children’s Librarian Trainee – QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
Starting Librarian Trainee Annual Salary: $51,027 - $53,495 (Depending on Educational credits earned)
The Queens Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.