**This is a temporary grant-funded position through 7/31/2020.**
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Within the broader scope of formal and informal learning of the Programs & Services Department (PSD) and reporting to Director of Adult Services and Cultural Programs, the Civic Engagement Manager is responsible for coordinating the Queens Public Library’s outreach to ensure participation in the 2020 Census. This will be accomplished by building strong partnerships with community-based organizations and Complete Count Committees to support civic activity in our libraries during and beyond the decennial count.
The Civic Engagement Manager will work collaboratively with the Census 2020 Program Manager to conceptualize, develop and implement events and programs that promote census and civic participation across the Queens Public Library system (QPL). The role is responsible for developing and implementing a community engagement plan, in collaboration with QPL’s Adult Services and Cultural Programs, Community Outreach division, the Census 2020 Program Manager and working with community partners.
The role requires a collaborative, creative, flexible, knowledgeable, and strategic person who is a self-starter committed to making a difference. Integral to the role is its function in building community networks and providing expert advice, support, and training to community library staff, particularly in the branches. Performs related duties and works on special projects as required. Local travel is required.
- Coordinates the Library’s on-the-ground Census outreach and partnership building initiatives.
- Develops targeted strategies for community engagement that support the Library’s goals for the 2020 Census and works closely with the Census 2020 Program Manager for the implementation of a sustainable framework for civic engagement programming.
- Develops and manages a team of outreach staff and volunteers.
- Provides expert advice, trains & supports community library staff to have a clear understanding of the importance of the Census, to deliver reliable information to patrons and lead census related programs.
- Works closely with the Census 2020 Program Manager in providing the necessary data and information collected to be used to monitor and report on the progress of this initiative, including tracking of budget expenditures.
- Coordinates activities and outreach efforts to actively encourage patrons to participate in the Census.
- Serves as the Library’s liaison with the regional office of the US Census Bureau, community-based organizations (CBOs) and community partners.
- Develops guidelines for staff for local Census outreach efforts, particularly for hard-to-count and underserved communities.
- Supports community library staff in developing highly localized engagement neighborhood by neighborhood.
- Identifies opportunities to connect program partners with much-needed language skills to libraries through targeted programming aimed at supporting patrons from non-English speaking backgrounds.
- Works in collaboration with QPL’s Marketing & Communications, Government & Community Affairs, the Census 2020 Program Manager and other internal stakeholders to develop a multilingual advocacy campaign with city government and community partners designed to attract community members to the library to fill out the census.
- Participates in Tri-Li working group meetings.
- Performs related duties and work on special projects as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The schedule for this position may include evenings and weekends.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experienced community organizer with a background in working strategically with local communities to build interest in and understanding of civic engagement and participation.
- At least 3-5 years of relevant work experience.
- Successfully demonstrated commitment to providing consistent, high-quality public service.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, including the ability to serve as an enthusiastic ambassador for the Queens Public Library.
- Experience supervising, training, and mentoring staff.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment, identify and assess problems, and decisively implement appropriate solutions or recommendations.
- Ability to work well independently and collaboratively across the Library to get things accomplished.
- Creativity, flexibility, and initiative in accommodating community and staff needs.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with many different stakeholders and in a large and complex organization.
- Fluency in languages spoken in Queens.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. We transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of offering pioneering programs and services to the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 65 locations.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume and cover letter to QLcareers@queenslibrary.org and reference “Census 2020 Civic Engagement Manager - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.