DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the direct supervision of the Information Access Services Assistant Manager of Central Library, the Business Librarian will provide library services and support to businesses, entrepreneurs, and patrons in the community. The Business Librarian will help increase and sustain local business support and services by developing and maintaining partnerships with Minority-owned and Women-owned Business Enterprises (MWBE), community business leaders, Chambers of Commerce, Better Business Bureau, business development centers and other business organizations. In partnership with other Adult Services Librarians, the Business Librarian will provide timely reference services, excellent reader's advisory and library instruction, innovative and creative programming & outreach, and effective collection development that meet the needs of the diverse and changing populations of Queens.
The Business Librarian will research and recommend business programs, classes, and workshops, and participate in outreach events to enhance the Library's relationship with and library services to the business community. The successful candidate will also develop, improve the business collection, teach and develop classes on business databases, and other courses and provide reference and readers’ advisory service on the Adult Services reference desk. Provides excellent customer and library service to the diverse communities of Queens.
- Performs excellent internal and external customer service and library service in response to the information needs of the Library’s users and the overall community with a focus on services to the business community.
- Assists customers in locating information and resources that meet their needs.
- Provides instructional assistance in the use of library-supported technologies and resources, including instruction in using new and emerging devices and digital resources.
- Manages, monitors and promotes high-quality, responsive business collections to ensure they are current, accurate, and relevant. Creates visual displays and informational brochures for library customers.
- Reviews and selects general reading and reference resources in a variety of formats, including print, audiovisual and electronic to support Central Library’s business collections.
- Conducts one on one information sessions with customers through appointments to assist with business resources.
- Organizes, coordinates and presents events, programs and instruction to library customers, including use of demographic tools, business development programs, and instruction in effective search strategies for using information resources.
- Promotes library services and programs through outreach with communities and business organizations.
- Participates in community outreach projects and activities, and keeps informed of community needs.
- Coordinates programs and activities with other Queens Public Library departments, primarily with Job Business Academy.
- May perform one or more of the following duties: compiles bibliographies and develops library user guides both in print and electronic formats.
- Submits incident reports as directed.
- Participates in training as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The schedule for this position will include Saturdays and evenings.
- MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA-accredited library school.
- New York State Public Librarian’s Certificate.
- At least one year of experience in business reference services or equivalent combination of education/training and experience.
- Effective oral and written communication skills to provide group and one-on-one instruction.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent working knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Office Suite, Mac computers, Google Office Suite, social media, e-readers and tablet technology.
- Demonstrated proficiency in current and emerging technologies and their applications.
- Demonstrated proficiency of search skills using paper and electronic business resources.
- Commitment to excellent customer service to diverse communities.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute projects.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate with professional and paraprofessional staff about concepts, ideas, and requirements.
- Strong organizational and management skills and ability to multi-task.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 66 locations.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume and cover letter to QLcareers@queenslibrary.org and reference “Business Librarian - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.