DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Payroll & Benefits, this position is the subject matter expert responsible for administering benefits for all QPL eligible employees. This includes being the lead for and communicator of the various employee benefits plans the Queens Public Library offers.
- Prepares communications and administers all benefit plans including medical, dental, life insurance, disability, flexible spending, Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) continuation of health coverage, retirement/pension, and health and welfare plans for union and non-union employees.
- Creates and coordinates the distribution of open enrollment materials (updating rates, plan information, new hire materials as required).
- Attends bi-weekly new hire orientation.
- Acts as a primary point of contact for employee benefit questions.
- Reconciles and processes payments and reports for all employee benefits with the bi-weekly payroll cycle or for external plan carriers. Reconciles and verifies the accuracy of all earnings and service time on bi-weekly New York State and Local Retirement System (NYSLERS) reports.
- Ensures that all active employees are reported accurately for the quarterly District Council (DC) 37 Welfare Fund, quarterly disability, monthly health insurance and all other employee benefits.
- Provides required accounts payable back-up documentation for health and welfare plan payments; reporting bi-weekly, monthly, and quarterly.
- Coordinates benefit deductions for employees on Short-Term Disability and Workers’ Compensation.
- Participates in any benefits related internal/external audits.
- Manages the Flexible Spending Account and Commuter Benefit programs, including vendor relationships and open enrollment periods.
- Provides retirement information for prospective retiree candidates and determines eligibility for retiree health benefits.
- Maintains knowledge of current issues and all federal, state, and local regulations as it pertains to employee benefits and assures organizational compliance.
- Completes and distributes all regulatory compliance notifications in a timely manner.
- Prepares and files annual reports and tests to fulfill governmental and benefit plan requirements.
- Year End; ACA requirements; 1095C’s and 1094C for IRS, Year End internal employee communication memo.
- Assists with the preparation of 5500 forms and special projects as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree and a minimum of five years of in-depth knowledge and experience in benefits administration required.
- Good understanding of ERISA and ACA and other benefits-related regulations.
- Experience in a unionized environment preferred.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff exhibiting professional discretion, confidentiality, and high ethical standards.
- Ability to take direction and work proactively in a team environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Outlook, and SAP or similar Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
- Ability to compile accurate and well-organized reports.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 65 locations.
TO APPLY: Please email your resume and cover letter to: Employment@queenslibrary.org and reference “Benefits Specialist - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
Starting annual salary range is $56,000 - $76,000.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.