DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Assistant Library Custodian (ALC) will work in partnership with the community library staff to create a clean and welcoming environment for our customers. The ALC may provide leadership, supervision and assigns work to Junior Library Custodians.
- Manages overall work schedules for custodial staff and coordinates additional tasks with library management. Trains, develops, evaluates and motivates direct reports and provides regular guidance with work schedules, inventory maintenance, timesheets, and other record keeping.
- Completes the daily cleaning checklist at assigned branch including noting any additional work completed. Communicates with the Facilities and Environmental Services (FES) Department on ongoing and upcoming projects as needed.
- Manages supplies and materials to ensure custodial resources are available within the assigned building.
- Routinely inspects buildings, grounds and mechanical equipment to insure proper maintenance and safety. Reports building and grounds vandalism to Community Library Manager (CLM) and FES department.
- Responsible for cleaning, maintenance, and compliance with safety requirements. Performs general heavy industrial cleaning, such as high and low dusting, floor care, vacuuming, waxing and buffing. Performs spot work and gum removal. Scours all rest room fixtures, including tile walls and mirrors. Sanitizes restrooms and refurbishes toiletries as required. Unclogs sinks and toilets as needed. Discards all rubbish and recycles in compliance with all regulatory requirements. Performs heavy lifting as needed.
- Inventories, maintains and orders custodial materials and equipment for the building. Inspects buildings and grounds to note general condition, necessity for repairs, and responsible for the proper use, cleanliness and storage of tools and equipment.
- Maintains daily building logs, including arrival and departure times of visitors, vendors, utility companies, contractors and ensures completion of work. Complies with safety requirements and monitors the buildings and grounds from vandalism. Performs general grounds care including but not limited to monitoring grounds, sweeping sidewalks and removing weeds from cracks and crevices. Cleans all exterior and interior glass. Shovels snow creating a minimum 5-foot pedestrian’s path on all sidewalks. Reports the need to remove trees and removes graffiti.
- Checks roof drains and exterior floor drains for clogs. Maintains and operates heating ventilating and air-conditioning system, and reports conditions requiring mechanical services. Routinely inspects air handling units and/or air conditioning, as well as all other equipment. Changes air conditioning and handling unit filters. Performs minor repairs and maintains custodial equipment such as snow/leaf blowers, vacuums, lawn mowers and various flooring machinery.
- Performs furniture moves and early morning program set-ups as needed. Performs pre-season maintenance check.
- Reports repairs that cannot be performed to the CLM and FES department. Conducts pre and post vehicle checks. Promptly reports all equipment and vehicle maintenance needs to the Senior Library Custodian. Responsible for branch energy conservation; requisitions fuel, stores janitorial supplies. Prepares reports on work activities, accidents, and unusual conditions, and enters work orders into the service request system (Remedy).
- Informs the CLM of monthly custodial supply needs. Reports safety and security hazards to CLM. Conducts monthly Fire Alarm Test and records it as required. Performs and records monthly checks of fire extinguishers.
- Performs other duties as required.
- High School Diploma, General Equivalency Diploma, or High School Equivalency required.
- A minimum of two (2) years of satisfactory full-time paid experience in maintaining and cleaning a building required.
- A minimum of one (1) year of supervisory experience is preferred.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license is a plus.
- Proficiency with computers and Microsoft Office applications is a plus.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. We transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of offering pioneering programs and services to the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 65 locations.
TO APPLY: Please email your resume and cover letter to: QLcareers@queenslibrary.org and reference “Assistant Library Custodian, - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.