DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Assistant Director of Operational Library Facility Planning is the key support to the Director of Library Operational Facility Planning. This position will have direct interaction with staff throughout the organization as well as external constituents/vendors. This position will work under the direction of the Director on facility projects throughout the Queens Public Library system providing needed support for the effective and efficient coordination of projects related to planning, logistics and operations associated with facility renovations or new construction.
- Develops, reviews and organizes scope of pre-and post-construction tasks, phases and requirements with Director for assigned projects.
- Coordinates closing and re-opening for short term community library projects, including scheduling inter-departmental meetings, completion of appropriate checklists and final turnovers.
- Acts on behalf of Operational Library Facility Planning department for specific assigned planning and development projects.
- Coordinates and manages frequent on- and off-site reviews of assigned projects to assess and manage progress towards stated goals, ensuring projects adhere to stated timeframes.
- Provides on-site supervision for major closure/re-opening of renovated and new buildings, ensuring stated goals are met.
- Communicates frequently and effectively with all parties involved with projects through email, in-person meetings and phone calls.
- Analyses data including collectionHQ, demographics and existing collections in order to make recommendations for collection size, as needed.
- Makes recommendations for collection locations; labels shelving for renovated and new buildings as part of the outfitting process.
- Works with CDD on ODCs; keeps CDD informed regarding project schedules.
- Assists in resolving issues involving logistics, operations, project management, equipment, supplies, as needed for each project.
- Provides inventory of furniture available for re-purposing upon closure of community libraries for renovation; works with FES on decisions for storage of materials/furniture.
- Responds to information and assistance requests from other departments as needed.
- Attends regularly scheduled meetings as assigned.
- Attends meetings with CPM as assigned and provides input on functionality and floor plans.
- Facilitates meetings on behalf of Director as needed.
- Vets internal projects for Director; provides information on functionality/project requirements as justification for project.
- Assists with problem solving in the field as needed.
- Cross-functional teamwork with CLS management as projects require.
- Initiates programming meetings with stakeholders in the development of floor plans for new spaces.
- Gathers and prepares research and information as needed for each project. This can include self-directed research work, working with staff from other library departments, and/or communication with other internal and external resources.
- In absence of Director, provides information/collaborates as necessary with QPL graphic design consultant.
- Serves as the primary in office contact while Director is in the field.
- Provides administrative support to the Director related to meeting coordination, minutes and collaboration of deliverables across multiple department staff.
- Develops spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations etc. as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The schedule for this position may require occasional weekends.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Masters in related field preferred.
- Three to five (3-5) years working in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to demonstrate time management skills.
- Familiarity with public library service models. Space planning/design, logistics or capital projects experience preferred.
- Ability to build effective relationships with both internal and external customers.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively multitask in a fast-paced environment and ability to prioritize and organize complex projects.
- Must be detail-oriented with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be tech savvy with proficiency in standard business software, such as MS Office Suite applications; MS Project a plus.
- Must be proactive and self-directed, and able to effectively work as part of team in a flexible, collaborative, problem solving environment.
- May be required to work occasional weekends.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s license.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 65 locations.
TO APPLY: Send your resume and cover letter to Employment@queenslibrary.org and reference “Assistant Director of Operational Library Facility Planning - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
Starting annual salary is $81,806.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.